Information posted January 8, 2014
Currently celebrating their 28th season, the not-for-profit, volunteer-driven Canadian Club of Halton Peel has been presenting guest dinner speakers on a wide range of subjects since 1986.
Thursday, January 23 – Richard Gwyn – “Nation Maker: Sir John A. Macdonald 1867-1891”
He has won multiple awards for his writing, is the recipient of five honorary degrees and was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2002.
With a focus on Nation Maker: Sir John A. Macdonald 1867-1891 (the second and concluding volume of his biography of Canada’s first and most important Prime Minister, from Confederation until Sir John A’s death 24 years later), Richard will talk about his own career as an historian and his interest in national and international politics. Also, with the upcoming 200th anniversary of the birth of Sir John A. Macdonald on January 11, 2015, he will discuss some of the ways that he and Canada will be recognizing this milestone in our country’s history.
|Date:||Thursday, January 23|
|Dinner, including speaker:||7:00 – 9:30 PM|
|Venue:||Oakville Conference Centre, 2515 Wyecroft Road, Oakville, L6L 6P8 (QEW & Bronte Rd)|
|Cost:||Members $35, Non-Members $45, Students $20.
Memberships (12-month rolling) – Single $30, Family $55, Corporate $75.
(We accept cash, cheques, debit, Visa, M/C & Amex)
The following is the upcoming schedule of speakers:
- February 20 – Dr. Pierre Meulien, PhD, President & CEO, Genome Canada, Ottawa – “The 21st Century will be the Century of Biology and, at its core, The Genome!”
- March 20 – Tilda Shalof, RN, BScN, CNCC (C), Staff Nurse, Medical-Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Toronto General Hospital – patient advocate, nurse leader, author, public speaker, media commentator – “Essential Tips You Need to Know About Being a Patient”
- April 24 – Dr. Jeff Ennis, MSW, MD, FRCP(C), Medical Director, The Ennis Centre for Pain Management – “Chronic Pain: An Update on Pain Management, from Opioids to Rehabilitation”
- NEW September 25 – Ian Hamilton, Burlington-based Author of 6 wildly popular crime novels featuring Chinese Canadian forensic accountant Ava Lee; 2012 Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Crime Novel; former journalist, government executive, diplomat & international businessman
- NEW January 22, 2015 – Dr. Hertzel Gerstein, MD, MSc, FRCPC, Professor of Medicine, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics & Population Health Institute Chair in Diabetes Research, McMaster University – “Insights into the Latest Research & Treatment of Diabetes”
Please contact Barry Wylie, [email protected] for more information.